In this episode of Jumpseat Radio host, Ryan Pennington shares some personal experience with Mental Health Support and how it can make a world of difference in your Fire Service Career.
Why do we struggle.. .
- Afraid to ask for help
Signs you should look for
- Temper outbreaks
- No patience with kids and spouse
- No breaks from long stretches
- Don’t want to go to work
- Know your signs
Why should you ask for help
- Because WE care about you
- You don’t have to do this alone
- Many of us have been through similar situations
- It’s more than just being tough
- if you not “tough” its ok
Where do you start
- Find someone you know love and trust
- Don’t hold it in. talk to someone
- Find a counselor. Maybe EAP, But google is where I started
- Realize that there is more than just you!
- Turn off your phone and detach from social media
- find something other than fire
We are our Brothers and sisters keeper..
- Get to know your people
- Invest in them by knowing them
- Ask questions
- Spend time off duty
- Pay attention
- Debrief after bad calls
- Debrief after home life events..
Firefighter Behavioral Health Alliance http://www.ffbha.org/
Next Rung https://www.nextrung.org/